Thursday, December 10, 2009

Dances With Predators

South African Ranger Lion Talker








"Rather than trying to tame wild stallions, fearless Costa Rican fisherman Chito prefers a playful wrestle in the water with his best pal Pocho – a deadly 17ft crocodile.The 52-year-old daredevil draws gasps of amazement from onlookers by wading chest-deep into the water, then whistling for his 980lb buddy – and giving him an affectionate hug."



"Chito made friends with the croc after finding him with a gunshot wound on the banks of the Central American state’s Parismina river 20 years ago. He had been shot in the left eye by a cattle farmer and was close to death.
But Chito enlisted the help of several pals to load the massive reptile into his boat. He says: “When I found Pocho in the river he was dying, so I brought him into my house. “He was very skinny, weighing only around 150lb I gave him chicken and fish and medicine for six months to help him recover.“I stayed by Pocho’s side while he was ill, sleeping next to him at night. I just wanted him to feel that somebody loved him, that not all humans are bad.“It meant a lot of sacrifice. I had to be there every day. I love all animals – especially ones that have suffered.” It took years before Chito felt that Pocho had bonded with him enough to get closer to the animal."


He says: “After a decade I started to work with him. At first it was slow, slow. I played with him a bit, slowly doing more. “Then I found out that when I called his name he would come over to me.”



More viral email goodness at CKThisOut.com
Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.