Saturday, December 12, 2009

Break Them, Discard Them

Soldiers Forced to Go AWOL for PTSD Care

"With a military health care system over-stretched by two ongoing wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, more soldiers are deciding to go absent without leave (AWOL) in order to find treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Eric Jasinski enlisted in the military in 2005, and deployed to Iraq in October 2006 as an intelligence analyst with the U.S. Army. He collected intelligence in order to put together strike packets – where air strikes would take place.
Upon his return to the U.S. after his tour, Jasinski was suffering from severe PTSD from what he did and saw in Iraq, remorse and guilt for the work he did that he knows contributed to the loss of life in Iraq.
"What I saw and what I did in Iraq caused my PTSD," Jasinski, 23-years-old, told IPS during a phone interview, "Also, I went through a divorce – she left right before I deployed – and my grandmother passed away when I was over there, so it was all super rough on me."
In addition, he lost a friend in Iraq, and another of his friends lost his leg due to a roadside bomb attack.
Upon returning home in December 2007, Jasinski tried to get treatment via the military. He was self-medicating by drinking heavily, and an over- burdened military mental health counselor sent him to see a civilian doctor, who diagnosed him with severe PTSD.
"I went to get help, but I had an 8 hour wait to see one of five doctors. But after several attempts, finally I got a periodic check up and I told that counselor what was happening, and he said they’d help me… but I ended up getting a letter that instructed me to go see a civilian doctor, and she diagnosed me with PTSD," Jasinski explained, "Then, I was taking the medications and they were helping, because I thought I was to get out of the Army in February 2009 when my contract expired."
As the date approached, a problem arose.
"In late 2008 they stop-lossed me, and that pushed me over the edge," Jasinski told IPS, "They were going to send me back to Iraq the next month."
During his pre-deployment processing "they gave me a 90-day supply of meds to get me over to Iraq, and I saw a counselor during that period, and I told him "I don’t know what I’m going to do if I go back to Iraq."
"He asked if I was suicidal," Jasinski explained, "and I said not right now, I’m not planning on going home and blowing my brains out. He said, ‘well, you’re good to go then.’"

6 Comments:

Blogger Devin said...

Yeah once the empire is done with you -they discard you with all the grace an aplomb of a used condom!
some on the far left dont feel sorry for these kids but i am sorry i do -i feel very sorry for them -they were naive young kids who were raised on the same bullshit we all were and thought they were helping their country in a time of need -and they got so fucked -and will we ever see the real criminals that started this shit in the first place go on trial to jail -or ummm be "good to go" as it were no of course not
some days I find I just have to believe in a god or some higher being who will get the Kissingers, Cheneys,Bushes,Clintons and on and on and on
thanks for the article-very sad but so very true
I dont fault anyone for falling for the lies our govt tells -hell it took me til 2004 to wise up to everything-sept 11, the whole thing
I just wish everyone would wake the hell up and we could stop this shit
all the best to you both and all who comment here!!

12/12/09 8:24 PM  
Blogger nolocontendere said...

Things are unutterably bad when liars keep getting away with their trade.
Isn't it coincidental that just when the military needs new bodies the economy goes in the crapper and young kids have no where to go but to enlist/

12/12/09 9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a former member,the paper they gave me saying "honorable discharge"for time served while screwing me in military court for my VA benefits makes me very pissed off that I AM NOTHING MORE THAN A KLENEEX!who CARES ABOUT ptsd!and it dosent matter how much "THEY" insert gov., invest in you!If you suddenly get a real brain and start to think for your self ,think exit sign!which means extraction of self from them,ASAP!mr.know,one of those kids.

18/12/09 4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you like to go out tonight?

30/1/10 2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry.
---------------------------------------------------------
Signature:buy levitra professional online pzw

14/2/10 6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happened?
---------------------------------------------------------
Signature:lipitor jtakq
order lexapro cpgdk

27/2/10 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.