Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I Wonder if I'm on the No-Fly List



Flying isn't my favorite activity. I don't like to give up my sense of being in control of my destiny. I know that statistics show that you're much more likely to slip on a banana peel and crack your head or get bitten by a tarantula than go down in a weightless, screaming ball of flame, but that's just me. Any wonderment I feel at the view is negated by all the trepidations.

However, my parents are quite elderly and both have had cancer, and I know the inevitable phone call or fax will come some day. They live on the other side of the country and to get there quickly I'll have to fly. Or try to.

As Doug Thompson at Capitol Hill Blue: The Oldest Political News Site on the Internet puts it:
"Yep. I’m on the official “no-fly” list. The TSA won’t tell anyone why they are on the no-fly list. That, they claim, is “classified.” Yet the list seems to carry a lot of names of people whose only crime is being critical of the Bush administration or the Iraq war. People like Democratic senators or congressmen or James Moore, co-author of Bush’s Brain, the best-selling book about Bush and Karl Rove.
So much for the land of the free."

It's hard to say whether some small fry/internet rant/average joe such as myself is on any kind of a terror list. I'll find out some day. But speaking of small fry, earlier this month a 4 year old at Houston International found out he was tagged as a threat and almost couldn't get on a flight to go see his grandma - CNN.com - 4-year-old boy shows up on 'no-fly' list - Jan 6, 2006
I wonder who else is on those lists.

1 Comments:

Blogger LesleyinNM said...

I also don't like to give up control and fly.
I do wonder what you have to do to get on the no fly list? Obviously you don't have to be Muslim and can be a American who merely wrote a book critical of Bush. Still, if they were to put everyone who said things critical of Bush on the list the airlines would lose a lot of money, which they can't afford to do.

27/1/06 10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.