Wednesday, May 14, 2008

So, When DO You Call It Fascism?

Airport metal detectors on the streets of London

"Police are to use hundreds of airport-style and hand-held weapon detectors in the crackdown on knife crime.
Teams of 15 officers will be deployed across the 10 boroughs in London that have recorded the most knife crime.
Assistant Commissioner Tim Godwin, head of territorial policing in the capital, said officers would be deployed in areas blighted by stabbings to stop and search teenagers suspected of carrying weapons.
Police admit the "in your face policing" is expected to raise community tensions in some a
reas."

And you know exactly what's coming next:

"Officers will use contentious Section 60 powers to enforce effective "no-go" areas for people carrying knives.
The powers enable officers to stop people and search them without the need to have "reasonable suspicion" that they are engaged in wrong doing.
There has been criticism of the powers because research has found it hits black communities disproportionately
."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember back about 20 years ago, Boston Police had their own version of "in your face policing." They'd stop black teenagers in the streets of predominately black areas of Boston, shove them against a wall, pull their pants down and frisk them - for no reason other than they were black teenagers in black areas of Boston.

15/5/08 5:09 PM  
Blogger Christopher Farrell said...

You call it Fascism after they gas six million people.

15/5/08 5:14 PM  
Blogger nolocontendere said...

You see, the problem is that we're in uncharted waters here. Our authoritarians learned quite well that fascism has to be cloaked in inauspicious garb, fed to a blindly trusting and easily led people with a good helping of emotion laden rhetoric.
Add the fact that comfortable people will be like the proverbial frogs in slowly boiling water, along with technology that we can barely fathom, and at some point we'll all reach that moment when we wake up and think
"my good fucking god, what have I let them do?"

chris - they're working on it.

15/5/08 5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to wonder if jack-knives and swiss army knives fall under the definition of weapon. In my book, they are life-saving tools. I carry one all the time. Not long ago, I fixed my mountain-bike with one, otherwise I would have had to walk 5 miles home.

16/5/08 8:13 AM  
Blogger nolocontendere said...

nick - I wouldn't doubt it and I carry and use a treasured swiss army tool given to me by my lovely wife every day.
I wouldn't want to be the stupid stooge to try and take it from me.

16/5/08 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.