Tuesday, April 08, 2008

1300 Miles In Two Days

On the drive home, winding up in Junction, Texas for the night, serendipitously finding a campsite for the night at a state park and next to a little clear river. Great Jehosophats Texas is a freaking huge state. Coming into it over the border from Louisiana there's a big sign saying, oh, Bumfuckville 50 miles, El Paso 850 miles.

I really want to see and experience Big Bend National Park tomorrow. Mrs Lipstick and I have ripped through the list of national parks west of the Mississippi like gangbusters, enjoying the shit out of every one, except Big Bend in Texas, and hangs like a tantalizing little pinata on the Mexican border which has been way out of reach until now.

It's pretty goddam hot and there's a chance of tornados tomorrow but full speed ahead. The way I figure it, from what I've seen, if you want to drive somewhere and see things, if you want to go places you haven't been yet - you only have a small window of opportunity to do so. Gas everywhere is around $3.50 and climbing, and it won't go back down.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, pig, when you get to Big Bend country (I'm in Alpine - the park's here in Brewster County, not but about a hundred miles - give me a shout. Shoot me an email and I'll give you a phone number. My email is lastname then firstname at newsguy dot com

Regards - Tex Long

8/4/08 10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.