Monday, December 19, 2005

Fly Fishing in Wyoming


Brokeback Mountain seems to be doing very good in theaters, even with a limited number of screens. It also picked up 7 Golden Globe nominations.

I haven't seen it yet but I know a little about it's story. It appears to be a well made, beautifully shot movie by a well respected director using a universal theme. What is so audacious to me about the project is that it's set in an area of the country where the traditional apperance of manhood is taken very, very seriously. I know, I worked there for a couple of years.

Maybe that dichotomy is integral to the plot, I won't understand that until it's released on DVD. But the cowboys-in-love theme is resonating with a substantial number of movie goers which is a surprising and interesting thing in and of itself. You would think that a tale of hard humpin' hombres of the purple sage would be avoided like the plague in these days of super manliness and war and codpieces on the flight deck. I'm sure the bible thumpers are panning it with crazed rightousness. But there's no denying the popularity of the first gay cowboy love story starring A list actors.

2 Comments:

Blogger The George said...

hey, thanks for the comment on my blog.

I'm not surprised that the radio piece on Pearson meant something different to you... I would guess that from your perspective the things I was saying don't sound very reasonable...
By the way, I agree about the "trappings" of faith. A lot of the things that go along with having a 5,000 member congregation make me a little uneasy. The only difference is, to me, Pearson lost the faith itself... or at least faith in a traditional Judeo-Christian concept of God and Jesus. The thing that frustrated me was that the piece seemed to focus on the seemingly petty and mean rejection of Pearson, without paying full due to the fact that, what Pearson did was like, say, being a senior member in an environmentalist earth-preservation society and then, suddenly start saying things like, "Screw Alaska, drill the place up!" and then presenting a new philosophy of rabid industrialism. Pretty soon, he would be kicked out of the club!

So, while I agree that Pearson's new doctrines and corresponding revelations about god are poignant, right now I believe he's so far off the mark that I wouldn't call him a Christian, and sadly, I think he's in error.

But anyway, I can understand how, if you weren't a Christian and didn't view our beliefs as necessarily correct, then of course things would appear drastically different.

Like I said earlier, I wish those on all the different sides of these postmodern debates could see from the others perspective, because then we would understand a lot more about why we each do the things we do.

So how bout you? Atheist, agnostic, somethin' else?

Cheers.

20/12/05 2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I really enjoyed visiting your blog today. I enjoyed the fresh content.

Salute,
fly fishing rods

24/4/06 3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.