Thursday, March 13, 2008

Headline Games

Right up there at the top at the NYT it says
Environmental Agency Tightens Smog Standards

You would be left with a feeling that the EPA is looking out for your health if you were just skimming the headlines. However the first paragraph alerts you to the fact that the agency disregarded it's own science panel which advised tougher rules:

"The Environmental Protection Agency announced a modest tightening of the smog standard on Wednesday evening, overruling the unanimous advice of its scientific advisory council for a more protective standard."

Not only that, the director wants to change the rules to allow decisions based on money.
Bushista to english translation - screw the science and health hazards, air quality will be set according to industry profits.
Nothing new there, remember when ex EPA honcho Christie Whitman shortened the life of thousands by insisting the air was fine at ground zero, just to get Wall Street up and running again after 9/11? As I remember, the headlines parroted the lies then too.

Here's one that's to the point though:
Air Too Dirty to Breathe in 345 Counties

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Typical corporate propagandizing.

Btw, Mr. Lipstick, I'd like to compliment you on your choice of colors for your blog. I too prefer light text against a dark background. I've been having a discussion about this in a forum for about a week and I'm beginning to feel like the odd man out. Everyone there seems to be stacked against me in my preferences and all I can say is, "How can you tolerate staring into those all-white and too-bright web-sites for hours on end? I don't want to go blind!

Anyways, the argument began after i suggested more people might not go blind if they decided to use the option in some browsers that lets them choose their own color displays for web-sites, and everyone disagreed with me. They argued that the web is sposed to be user-friendly. What is so damn user-friendly about an all-white news web-site that makes a person go blind?

So I disabled the option in my browser and started surfing to see how many web-sites use all-white backgrounds and man, it's a lot more than I originally thought. Quite a lot of news sites, including alternative news sites, are all-white. So when I got to piglipstick, man what a relief!
Thanx for the great color-scheme and all the great posts!

13/3/08 12:51 PM  
Blogger nolocontendere said...

Well nick, I appreciate you stopping by and leaving such cogent comments.
Blogger won't let me find it, but I did a post on black background last year. I chose it because I like the way pictures seem to hang in space, but apparently not only is it better for your eyes, it's a lot better as far as power consumption with the monitor too.
The one thing I'd readily change is the font size if anyone complained, but I'm OK with it and no one who stops by has ever done so.

13/3/08 8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.